2015 Division III NFCA Louisville Slugger All-Region and All-American Procedures
ALL TIMES LISTED ARE EASTERN
Selection of All-Region Teams
Nomination Procedure – Available April 27 at 9 a.m. ET; Deadline April 30 at 9 p.m. ET.
Coaches of NFCA-member schools in good standing may nominate up to six players from their own team to the All-Region ballot. Schools must be considered Division III in good standing by the NCAA to be considered. A player may only be nominated for one position. The form must be filled out completely to be considered.
The following guidelines will apply for each position:
Pitchers -- MUST HAVE PITCHED A MINIMUM OF 76 INNINGS
Pitching stats are first consideration.
Defensive stats are second consideration.
Offensive stats are third consideration.
Defensive Positions -- MUST HAVE PLAYED THE MAJORITY OF THE TOTAL GAMES THAT THE TEAM PLAYED AT THE NOMINATED POSITION
Defensive and offensive statistics will have equal weight.
For catchers, stats include the number of stolen base attempts (SBA) and the number of times caught stealing (CS). A catcher will be credited with an SBA every time a runner attempts to steal a base. If the runner is caught stealing as a result of a throw, it is a CS. Pickoffs are a separate category.
Concerning baserunner statistics, the stats include stolen bases to stolen base attempts (SB/SBA) and on base percentages (OB%), which is anytime a player reaches base safely following an appearance at the plate.
Designated Player -- MUST HAVE PLAYED THE MAJORITY OF THE TOTAL GAMES THAT THE TEAM PLAYED AT THE NOMINATED POSITION
Only offensive stats will be considered.
Utility Player -- MUST HAVE PLAYED AT LEAST TWO OR MORE POSITIONS WITH NOT MORE THAN 60 PERCENT OF PLAYING TIME AT ONE POSITION
All statistics must be included.
Breakdown should be indicated on the nominating form (Example: 10/SS, 12/OF, 14/DP; Summary: 36 games, three positions played).
Defensive stats for each position played must be provided.
- Coaches will vote online for All-Region teams from the ballots received.
- Only NFCA member HEAD COACHES in good standing with the NFCA will vote for All-Region teams. One vote per institution may be cast, and VOTING WILL BE PUBLIC. You MAY vote for your own players if you wish.
- The voting ballot will only be counted if submitted by the deadline.
- The voting ballot must be COMPLETELY filled out. If all blanks are not filled in, then the ballot WILL NOT BE COUNTED.
Each region will select three teams. Each region’s First and Second All-Region Teams will be comprised of 15 players per team: two pitchers, one for each infield position (C, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS), three outfielders, one utility, one designated player and three at-large positions. A Third All-Region Team will consist of 15 at-large selections. Each team will have 15 players for a total of 45 players per region. If there is a tie in the voting, awards will be given to each player involved in the tie. If you see a misspelled name for one of your players, please email your regional representative immediately.
Selection of Third Teams and At-Large Positions
The respective regional subcommittees will meet to determine the All-Region third team and at-large selections.
Tabulation of Votes; Post-Selection Requirements
On May 5-7, the respective regional subcommittees will finalize the All-Region selections. All-Region teams will be released to the schools and will appear online at www.nfca.org on May 11.
Each coach who has an All-Region First Team player must submit the following to Dave Hines at
by Sunday, May 10 by noon ET: Updated statistics, game-by-game statistics, and phone numbers, including cell and/or home, where the coach and SID can be reached.
Selection of All-American Teams
- Regional representatives will meet via conference call on or about Monday, May 11, at a time yet to be determined to select the NFCA First, Second and Third Team All-Americans. The following guidelines are used in determining the teams:
- Only players who were selected to First Team All-Region Teams are eligible for consideration at the All-American level. It is the responsibility of the player’s coach to get updated statistics (including game-by-game) on his or her All-American candidate(s) to Dave Hines at
by Sunday, May 10 at noon ET.
- The selection process is done by position. Each of the three teams at a determined position are selected before the committee moves on to vote for another position. For example, if the committee is looking at pitchers, they a) vote in all the First Team pitchers, b) vote in all the Second Team pitchers, c) vote in all the Third Team pitchers, d) move on to the next position.
- The committee discusses each player on the ballot who has been brought to the table by the regional representative as a potential First team All-American. A vote is taken and the top vote getter represents the First team. The committee then discusses each player on the ballot who has been brought to the table as a potential second team All-American. A vote is taken and the top vote getter represents the Second team. The process is repeated for selection to Third team. If there is a tie, the committee re-discusses the individuals involved in the tie and re-votes until the tie is broken. Exception: If there is a tie at the Third team All-American level, all players are awarded.
- Each All-American team is comprised of 15 players: two pitchers, one catcher, one first base, one second base, one third base, one shortstop, three outfielders, one designated player, one utility player, and three at-large positions.
- Once the All-American teams are chosen, each regional representative will notify the coach of the selected All-American, inviting the player(s) to attend the NCAA Division III Women’s Softball Championship banquet Wednesday, May 20, in Salem, Va.
- If your school is going to pay any portion of the award winner’s transportation costs, your compliance coordinator must complete an incidental expense waiver through your conference office. If your school is an independent, this must be done through NCAA Membership Services.
- Coaches of the honorees should fax (502/409-4622) or email (
) the Confirmation Form to Dave Hines at the NFCA by noon ET on May 18. Email
to request the Confirmation Form in PDF format. Please note that the regional representatives will help with shuttling athletes to and from the airport and banquet location if athletes are traveling alone.
- For First-Team All-Americans, the NFCA will pay for one night’s lodging at the NFCA host hotel for each First-Team All-American. A room block will be held for the All-Americans until noon ET on May 18. Contact Dave Hines at the NFCA with the information needed to make a reservation or submit the confirmation form by the designated time.
- In addition, each first team player will receive one ticket to the banquet for her and one for her coach. The banquet will tentatively be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 20, at a site to be determined. Tickets will be left at will call.
- The NFCA will pay a maximum of two day’s per diem, $20 each day, for each First Team All-American.
- The NFCA will pay for two sessions to the championship.
- Please complete the Confirmation Form and fax or email to Dave Hines by noon ET on Monday, May 18.
Second- and Third-Team All-Americans
- The NFCA has blocked rooms at the host hotel; reservations should be made before noon ET on May 18 by calling Dave Hines at the NFCA or submitting the confirmation form by the designated time. Schools will be responsible for their own charges.
- Each honoree will receive one ticket to the banquet at a site to be determined. Tickets will be left at will call.
- Please complete the Confirmation Form and fax or email to Dave Hines by noon ET on Monday, May 19.