2015 High School ALL-AMERICAN SELECTION PROCEDURES
Selection of All-Region Teams
- The nominees must be from the member coach’s high school team.
- A coach may nominate up to 8 players.
- A player may only be nominated for one position.
- Coaches should ensure that nominee’s statistics meet the minimum requirements outlined below and that all requested information is supplied.
- Incomplete nomination forms will not be considered.
The following guidelines will apply for each position:
Pitchers -- MUST HAVE PLAYED IN A MINIMUM OF 40 % OF THE TOTAL GAMES
- Pitching stats are first consideration.
- Defensive stats are second consideration.
- Offensive stats are third consideration.
Defensive Positions -- MUST HAVE PLAYED IN AT LEAST 75% OF THE TOTAL GAMES AT THE NOMINATED POSITION
- Defensive and offensive statistics will have equal weight.
- For catchers, stats include the number of stolen base attempts (SBA) and the number of times caught stealing (CS). A catcher will be credited with an SBA every time a runner attempts to steal a base. If the runner is caught stealing as a result of a throw, it is a CS. Pick-offs are a separate category.
Utility Player -- MUST HAVE PLAYED AT LEAST TWO OR MORE POSITIONS IN AT LEAST 50% OF THE TOTAL GAMES
- All statistics must be included.
- Breakdown should be indicated on the nominating form (Example: 10/SS, 12/OF, 14/DP; Summary: 36 games, 3 positions played).
- Defensive stats for each position played must be provided.
All-Region Team Selection Procedure
The all-region first team will be composed of four pitchers, two catchers, one first base, one second base, one third base, one shortstop, three outfielders, one utility, two at-large
- Region chairs are given approval to make the second all-region team at-large if qualified candidates in some of the positions are not nominated.
- The five region chairs and their sub-committees will select the all-region first and second teams from the nominations submitted.
- The first team all-region selections from all five regions will then be forwarded to the NFCA national committee for All-America consideration.
All-America Team Selection Procedure
- The national committee will select the All-America first, second and honorable mention teams by conference call on the date specified in the timeline.
- Athletes selected to the first team all-region as an “at-large” selection are eligible for selection to an All-American team. However, that region's first team all-region position player selection must have already been selected to an All-American team before the “at-large” selection may be named.
- The third team honorable mention will not be named by position, but rather, an at-large team made up of the 16 most qualified nominees.
As a trial, High School will implement two additional procedural changes in 2015 to include 1 the use of a coach from the “NFCA Emeriti Group” to serve as the National Chair and 2 implementing consequences for regional representatives who fail to notify the All-American committee when they will be unable to participate in the regional calls.
1 The “NFCA Emeriti Group” is comprised of coaches who are no longer coaching, but who were NFCA members in good standing for at least ten years prior to their departure from the coaching ranks. The identified Emeriti member will be familiar with the High School All-American process and procedures, will provide oversight during the five regional calls, and will ensure consistency in how players are evaluated during the regional discussions. In addition, he/she will facilitate the All-American call comprised of the regional representative from each region.
2 There continues to be a challenge with High School All-American Committee members missing regional calls without notifying the committee of a schedule conflict in advance. If a member of the committee is unable to make a scheduled call, that committee member should make it known and every effort will be made to reschedule the call. Failure to notify the committee will result in removal from the All-American Committee and a three-year probation period in which the member cannot run for the All-American Committee. The NFCA High School All-American liaison will take attendance prior to each regional and the national call.