Sign up now to take advantage of all the NFCA has to offer. Fastpitch news and updates, coaching education, discounts on store products, Fastpitch Delivery newspaper and much, much more.
INFO & APPLICATION >
Division I Recruiting Calendar Given Approval; Effective Aug.
The Division I softball recruiting calendar developed at the 1997 NFCA National Convention has received final approval from the NCAA Board of Directors. The legislation will go into effect August 1, 1999.
Meeting January 12 in conjunction with the NCAA Convention in San Antonio, the Board gave final approval to Proposal No. 98-49, which had gone through three approval stages before reaching the Board. This included initial approval from the NCAA Division I Academic/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet Subcommittee on Recruiting and the two approvals necessary from the Division I Management Council. In addition, two 60-day comment periods were held during the process.
In other action, the Board also gave final approval to Proposal No. 98-93, which establishes that a maximum limit of three contests may be played in any one day. This, too, is effective August 1, 1999.
This proposal also was generated from the 1997 NFCA National Convention, but initially had time limits of not beginning games prior to 9 a.m. or starting any games after 11 p.m. The Management Council, however, deleted the time restrictions.
Following is the recruiting calendar legislation and how it affects the 1999-2000 year.
Division I Recruiting Calendar
for 1999-2000 Academic Year
Bylaw 13.02.7 Evaluation Days - Division I Basketball and Softball
Bylaw 184.108.40.206 Evaluation Days - Division I Softball
Bylaw 30.11.7 Softball, Division I
(a) August 1 through Thanksgiving Day [except for (1) below]: Contact/Evaluation Period
(1) Monday through Thursday of the week that includes the initial date Dead Period for the fall signing of the National Letter of Intent: [Note: In 1999, this falls on November 8 through November 11.]
(b) Thanksgiving Day through January 1 [except for (1) below]: Quiet Period
(1) 12:01 a.m. on the day of registration for the national convention of the Dead Period
National Fastpitch Coaches Association to 12:01 a.m. on the day after adjournment of the convention: [Note: In 1999, this falls on December 1 through December 5.]
(c) January 2 through July 31 [except for (1), (2) and (3) below]: Contact/Evaluation Period
(1) Monday through Thursday of the week that includes the initial date Dead Period for the spring signing of the national Letter of Intent: [Note: In 2000, this falls on April 3 through April 6.]
(2) Tuesday prior to the National Collegiate Division I Women's Softball Dead Period Championship game to noon on the day after the game: [Note: In 2000, this falls on May 23 through noon May 30.]
(3) The period from noon on the day after the National Collegiate Division I Quiet Period
Women's Softball Championship game through 8 a.m. the following Monday: [Note: In 2000, this falls on noon May 30 through 8 a.m. June 5.]