It’s not too late to register for the National Fastpitch Coaches College’s newest course — Personal and Professional Development, Course 401. Fastpitch softball coaches at all competitive levels of play are welcome (college, high school, travel ball).
NFCC Director Sharon Drysdale will unveil the newest addition Friday, February 13, at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Georgia. It will run through Sunday, February 16, at noon.
“I’m really excited about this course,” said Drysdale. “It’s something coaches have needed for a long time, since it deals with areas in which we generally spend too little time. The focus is on professional development, leadership and communication, and how to avoid job burnout.”
Drysdale will be joined by two of the nation’s top authorities in coaching development — Jeff Janssen and Laurie Soltman.
Janssen, one of the nation's premiere peak performance coaches, is known for helping coaches and athletes develop the team chemistry, mental toughness, and leadership skills necessary to win championships. His work has contributed to numerous NCAA national championships and final fours across a variety of sports.
Laurie Soltman has worked most of the past 15 years as an educator, counselor and administrator in professional baseball throughout the country. During her 10-year stint with the Florida Marlins, she created and implemented benchmark programming in language education, acculturation and life skills for the team's minor league programs.
Major components of the course are:
• Seven secrets of successful coaches (consistency, caring, competency, commitment, character, communication, confidence-builder).
• Philosophies and styles.
• Leadership (goal-setting, empowering others).
• Team building (trust, coachability, mental toughness, confidence, focus, self-esteem).
• Management (behavior, discipline).
• Communication and listening.
• Stress & time management.
• Leadership (decision-making, motivating, delegating).
• Management (conflict, negativity, mistakes, risk).
• Power phraseology.
• Interpersonal relationships.
• Avoiding job burnout, including study of the path that leads to spirited coaching and how to manage burnout along the way.
Personal and Professional Development is the sixth course offered in the NFCA’s National Fastpitch Coaches College. The others are:
Course 402 — Advanced Analysis of Fundamental and Individual Skills
Course 403 — Position Play and Practice
Course 404 —Solid Team Defense and Strategy
Course 405 —Run-Producing Team Offense and Strategy
Course 408 — Coaching Observation & Practice
To find out more about the NFCC or register on-line, please click on the following link:
National Fastpitch Coaches College