Educational tool featuring member coaches sharing insight on softball-related topics
- Designed to help coaches be the best they can be by listening to a member coach, expert in the field or another individual or group share their knowledge of a specific topic
- New episodes go live on Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. ET
- New episodes, topics and guests will be regularly announced via the NFCA’s online newsletter and social media accounts
- Past episodes will be available to listen to at any time by choosing the podcast link online at NFCA.org
- Listen to all the episodes on your Apple devices by downloading the podcast app HERE.
“Education is one of our main NFCA pillars. Our goal is to provide fastpitch coaches the best education in the country and to do so in a variety of ways. We are thrilled to introduce the ‘On Deck with the NFCA’ podcasts. Coaches are people on the go and our podcasts will provide the opportunity for coaches to listen and learn from their office, the field, the bus, the plane or anywhere in the country.”
-- NFCA Executive Director Carol Bruggeman
Lineup (Click on link to listen)
- Jan. 18 | Patrick Murphy (Alabama- head coach) - "How a Successful Preseason Can Make all the Difference in your Postseason"
- Jan. 25 | Darren Mueller (North Dakota State- head coach) - "Creating Competition in Preseason Practices"
- Feb. 1 | Matt Meuchel (Arkansas- assistant coach) - "Using Practice Statistics to Set a Productive Batting Order"
- Feb. 8 | Penny Siqueiros (Emory University, head coach) - "How to Deal with Failure"
- Feb. 15 | Tyra Perry (Illinois- head coach) - "Culture Change is a Process"
- Feb. 22 - Rhonda Revelle, Lori Sippel & Diane Miller (Nebraska) - "The Dynamics of a Successful Coaching Staff"
- March 1 - Karen Weekly (Tennessee, co-head coach) & Samantha Ekstrand (NFCA Legal Counsel) - "Counseling coaches: How to navigate through tough times"
- March 8 - John Tschida (University of St. Thomas- head coach) - "Scouting an Opponent"
- March 15 - Gretta Melsted (Augustana (S.D.)- head coach) - "Empowering Players"
- March 22 - Clyde Verdin (LSU- associate sports information director) - "Successful Strategies for Using the Media to Promote Your Program"
March 29 - Sarah Munoz (Auburn University) | "Social Media, Marketing, Fan Engagement & Promotions"
April 5 - LSU coaching staff - "The Work / Life Equilibrium"
- April 12 - Nicole White (Director of Sports Nutrition- Iowa) - "Nutrition and the Softball Athlete"
- April 19 - Jacquie Joseph (Michigan State- head coach) - "Planning for End of Season Meetings with Staff, Players, and Administrators"
- April 26 - Brian Cain - "Making a strong postseason push"
- May 3 - Aaron Weintraub | "How to use positive self-talk to improve your game"
- May 10 - Megan Matthews Buning | "Coaching behaviors and their influence on student-athlete performance"
- May 17 - Jen Croneberger | "Transitions in Coaching"
- May 24 - Yvette Girouard (Louisiana / LSU retired) & Bill Edwards (Hofstra retired) | "This one time..." Tales from Emeriti
- May 31 - Missouri State Softball Staff (Holly Hesse, Sue Frederick, Beth Perine) | "The benefits of staff continuity"
- June 7 - Recruiting Special: High Academic Institutions | Featuring Pat Conlan (Georgetown), Jen Goodwin (Yale), and Renee Hicks (Bellarmine)
- June 14 - Recruiting Special: Two-Year Institutions | Featuring Darin Monroe (Rock Valley), Yasmin Mossadeghi (Southwestern) and Maria Winn-Ratliff (Tyler)
- June 21 - Recruiting Special: NCAA Division III Institutions | Featuring John Byrne (Moravian College) & Margie Knight (Salisbury University)
- June 28 - Recruiting Special: Specialty Institutions | Featuring Michelle DePolo (Army West Point) & Sonja Garnett (Academy of Art University)
- July 5 - The Coach / Administrator Relationship | Featuring Keri Becker (Director of Athletics, Grand Valley State University), Heather Lyke (Director of Athletics, University of Pittsburgh), and Brandi Stuart (Senior Associate Athletics Director / Senior Woman's Administrator, University of Central Florida)
- July 12 - Mentoring 101: An Inside Look At The NFCA Mentoring Program | Featuring Kris Ganeff (University of Notre Dame), Alicia Abbott (Northern Illinois University), & Amanda Nordberg-Hamilton (Bossier Parish CC)
- July 19 - Get Involved with the NFCA! | Featuring George Wares (Central College) & Patti Gerckens (UC San Diego).
- July 26 - Playing Rules & Umpires: What You May Not Know | Featuring Vickie Van Kleeck (NCAA Softball Secretary-Rules Editor) & Christie Cornwell (3x WCWS Umpire, founder of Diamond Umpire Academy, Coordinator of Softball Umpires for the SEC, Sun Belt, ASUN & ODAC and the NFCA's Leadoff Classic UIC).
- August 2 - My First 100 Days | Featuring Shonda Stanton (Head Coach, Indiana University)
- August 9 - The Business Side of Softball | Featuring Dr. Jami Lobpries (Vice President, USSSA Fastpitch)
- August 16 - Work/Life Harmony: How To Keep It Separate When You Work Together | Featuring Travis & Katie Scott (Angelo State University)
- August 23 - How New Balance is Embracing the Softball Community | Featuring Dave O'Connor (Fastpitch Manager, New Balance)
- August 30 - A Profile in Coaching | Featuring Rachel Lawson (University of Kentucky)
- September 6 - An Inside Look at Travel Ball | Featuring Donny Dreher (Michigan Finesse)
- September 13 - From Coach to Schutt Sports | Featuring NFCA Hall of Fame member Dianne Baker
- September 20 - A Profile in Coaching | Featuring Lonni Alameda (Florida State University)
- September 27 - Getting the Most Out of Your Fall Season | Featuring Megan Smith (University of Kansas)
- October 4 - Sponsor Spotlight: Netting Professionals | Featuring Will Minor
- October 11- Work/Life Harmony: The Oklahoma Experience | Featuring Patty Gasso, Melyssa Lombardi, and JT Gasso
- October 18 - A Profile in Coaching | Featuring Bonnie Tholl (University of Michigan)
- October 25 - Sponsor Spotlight: Easton Sports | Featuring Francesca Enea
- November 1 - A Profile In Coaching | Featuring Mickey Dean (Auburn University)
- November 8 - The NFCA Convention Spectacular! | Featuring the NFCA Staff
- November 15 - The NFCA Convention: Three Perspectives | Featuring Heather Gelbard, Alexis Lynn, & Sara Flinn
- November 22 - NFCA Hall of Fame Spotlight | Featuring Margie Wright (Class of 2000) and Margo Jonker (Class of 2003)
- November 29 - A Profile in Coaching | Featuring Brandon Elliott | Virginia Wesleyan University
- December 6 - The NFCA Remembers Coaching Legend Elaine Sortino | Featuring Holly Aprile & Danielle Henderson
- December 13 - Did You Miss It? | A Review of the 2017 NFCA National Convention |
- December 20 - The Impact Community Service Can Have on Your Program | Featuring LaTaya Hilliard-Gray (Winston-Salem State University & Janae Shirley (East Texas Baptist university)
On Deck with the NFCA will return on January 3rd, 2018. Have a Happy Holiday Season and a Wonderful New Year!!
Do have ideas for an upcoming podcast? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org