KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Caitlin McNiff of Missouri Baptist has been named the first NAIA National Softball Player of the Week and Emily Smith of Valley City State (N.D.) has been named the first NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week. McNiff and Smith were selected based on their performances from March 12 – 18, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Player of the Week
Caitlin McNiff, Missouri Baptist
So., OF, Florissant, Mo.
- Compiled at least one hit in eight-of-10 games, including six contests of multiple hits.
- Weekly Stats
- Batted .552 (16-for-29) with five home runs, 15 RBI and 10 extra base hits.
- Slugged 1.276.
- Scored 15 runs on a Florida trip in which Missouri Baptist went 9-1 against competition.
- Finished with two homers, four RBI and a 3-for-3 day in the 9-1 win against Marywood (Pa.) University.
Pitcher of the Week
Emily Smith, Valley City State (N.D.)
So., P, Portage La Prairie, Manitoba
- Smith appeared in 11 of 12 games last week as she posted a 4-0 record with two saves, helping Valley City to a 10-2 record.
- Weekly Stats
- Tossed a total of 37.2 innings and posted a 2.02 ERA in 11 contests.
- Struck out 40 batters.
- She was brilliant in her final game of the week, entering with a bases-loaded jam in the first inning and pitching a shutout the rest of the way in a 1-0 win against Bellevue (Neb.)
- At the plate, she hit .385 with 14 runs scored and seven RBI.
-- Courtesy of NAIA